26 Feb Undefined Goals: The Reason You Are Frustrated
I hear a lot from my clients about their dreams and in particular their frustrations about not making them a reality, so I want to post a very short and pointed blog about the importance of goals and how to make them work for your business.
We all know that goal setting is important business growth. It’s the light at the end of the tunnel and the success you are always reaching towards – but getting the balance between reasonable and visionary can be tricky.
Here are a few steps you can use to create goals for your business that will inspire you, while still being grounded in reality.
- Make your goals inspirational: Think of what long-term goals support your overall vision. Be bold!
- But also attainable: What goals can you accomplish in the short term to support your inspirational goal. They still should be inspirational, but attainable.
- Be specific: Vague goals will bring vague results. Be very specific in what you are measuring and what you expect to accomplish.
- Ensure they are track-able: Identify key metrics that will support your goals.
- Limit them to a few: Too many goals can lead to confusion, so keep it simple and focus on the top ones.
Here’s an example to bring the steps to life using a Food Blogger as the business owner.
- Goal (not very good): Write 2 food blogs per week. [That’s a task, not a goal.]
- Goal (better): Become a respected restaurant blogger. [This is impossible to measure.]
- Goal (even better): Become a restaurant blogger with 1K followers next year. [Pretty good, but could be more specific.]
- Goal (the best!): Become a Italian food restaurant blogger with 1K followers next year and 500K by year 3. [Now, that’s a goal!]
Once you have a well defined, actionable, measurable goal then you can focus your efforts on what tasks are needed to support it.
What are your goals? If you are getting frustrated in your business, clarifying them could be a terrific way to increase focus and define what success looks like to you.
Try it and let me know how it goes!